I have a bunch of photos to share! Last night was wonderful - after all the animals had been put in the barn and to bed for the night and all the work was done except for dinner, Kevin and I sat on the porch had a drink and just talked about the day. And the Smithsonian which we'll hopefully get to visit the week of the 27th when we are in Washington D.C. again.

Photobucket
Goofy

Afterwards, we went for a ride in the mule to check apples. In the field we call the "tree field" since it's where the first planting of baby Pine trees went several years ago, we saw a Doe. She let us get up very close to her - and I snapped my first picture. I looked into the camera viewer and then back up at her, she was looking directly at me..... and I let out a little scream which thankfully didn't scare her away. It was GOOFY! My big, broad backed, old, skinny doe. She has been hanging around here for five years - and last winter she looked so awful I thought she'd die for sure. She never had a fawn last year either, but she does this year! I cannot explain how excited I was and how good my heart feels today knowing she is well and still here. She let me get a bunch of pictures of her and then just slowly walked off, her little fawn bouncing behind her. There is no mistaking Goofy, she has a ton of features that make her stick out from the crowd, and when you know an animal, even a wild one, and even a deer, you absolutely just "know" when it's the one you think it is. I know it was her, and I'm so grateful for her to stand there and let me see her, know she is well, and get pictures of her.

Photobucket

A few of the apple trees are ready, but our best ones are not. I made jelly/butter/sauce last year the last week of September, so it's still early. One tree is pretty good, so I might pick some to make a pie as a treat. I brought Wramber (Haflinger) and Chance (Llama) home yesterday afternoon. They were of course not gone, but out on pasture which isn't close to the house or in sight of it. They were pretty happy to come back with the other animals. Chance broke his halter off so I just hoped for the best. He followed slowly behind us and then ran off into a field, but it was easy to get him in the barnyard with grain. I put both of them in our new goat pasture, since everyone gets along just fine. They love being able to come almost up to the house now... so like the goats and everyone else, they stand at the gate and stare at the house whenever we are in it. Max loves Wrambler and Chance and I wouldn't say they "love" him but they tolerate him quite well, especially Chance. When Max was a puppy and we brought him home we never thought Chance would be able to live anywhere near the dog, but then we caught them sleeping together and it's been that way ever since.
Our security system

Photobucket

It clouded up in the afternoon and looked like we were going to get a storm, but it passed quickly with only a couple rain drops. I got 31 jars of pickles made up, so far. Of course, we don't plan on eating ALL of those pickles by ourselves, we share with friends and that's why I make extra. But we do eat a lot of them ourselves.... it's hard not to!

Storm moving in

Photobucket
Buttermilk AKA Baby

Photobucket
My favorite picture of ALL time! Flavious kissing Braveheart, our blind ram

Photobucket
Lavender

Photobucket
Oh the carefree days of puppyhood

Photobucket

Photobucket

Yes, this is my bone

Photobucket
Max wondering why the puppy has his bone

Photobucket
Max giving up... what's a guy to do

Photobucket
That was pretty tasty....

Photobucket

This chicken left the barn a week ago. I've seen it twice since, but not for a few days. Well it showed up today just fine! Hard to believe....

Photobucket
Kevin getting the power hooked up in the barn!

Photobucket

r.
and no I am not rushing into winter or hoping it comes any quicker than usual, but I did finish three scarves! Have to look on the bright side of winter.... I can't wait to wear them!

Popular Posts