Meatball stew and Pd treat time

Photobucket

The moon was beautiful last night. But the cold was deadly. The wind was sharp and it was one of the coldest nights we've had this winter. Kevin kept the fire going full blast so it was nice and cozy inside. In fact it was so warm, everyone thought we were experiencing a heatwave.
Photobucket
The meatball stew turned out delicious! I used butter because it calls for you to basically made a roux with some of the fat from the ground beef and flour. I had meatballs leftover in my freezer so I used those and skipped a step. But honestly, I'd add butter, I think the gravy turns out way more creamy and better tasting. You can find the recipe here:

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/Recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-index/dinner-recipes/Hungarian-Meatball-Stew

It was a simple, very quick, warming and filling dinner. It was super fast since I already had meatballs made. I made too much last time I made them so I froze them, which was a smart idea since it saved me all that work last night!

Photobucket
Here are some pictures of the Pd's getting treats last night.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
I watched a great show tonight on the food network. It was filmed in 2006, so it's not new, it's called the "River Cottage treatment." The show tried to change peoples eating habits by challenging them to stop eating junk food and products that come from factory farmed animals. So the host, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, showed people where their food comes from and tried to push them towards buying organic, free range meat. The episode I watched was about chicken and it was very good. He also showed how to cook healthy meals and stretch what you buy, so that one chicken gave them three meals for several people.
It's a really good show, and I think they tried to give people something to think about. You can read more about it here: http://www.rivercottage.net/Page~59/Hugh.aspx if you are interested.
The moon is full again tonight, and it's crisp and cold out but the wind is not as bad as last night. It's almost time to tuck everyone in for the night and get some rest.

Popular Posts